Friday, March 30, 2012

We all have them...

Those little voices in our heads that tell us things. Now that you all think I am crazy look in the mirror at yourself...You heard it right? The voice that maybe said you are getting some fine lines, or you have gained weight, or perhaps even worse. How did those voices get there? Our inner thoughts about ourselves can impact how we react to certain situations. I believe these thoughts influence our lives in so many ways.

Here is an exercise that I took away from the conference to do with your child/children. Everyday recite a few phrases. The idea is to program your child's voice to say what is true and positive as opposed to hateful messages.

I am great
I am smart
I am loved
I am precious to God

You can add in things that are specific to your child such as for Aidan I would add "I am a wonderful hockey player" The idea is to have these 4 or 5 phrases circulate in their little brains over and over. I really like this practice and I have started it with Anna. To be honest I need it for myself as well. I intend on making a little sign or print of what I want it to say for me to hang in my bathroom. I love signs because I read them every time I pass them. I know Anna is great, smart, loved and precious to God but what really matters to me is that Anna knows she is great, smart, loved and precious to God.


The Created for Care conference was a based Christian conference that had time to worship and Christian music. Now before you turn off what I saying because this was Christian based I will tell you I felt very comfortable there. As a Catholic, we can be pretty up tight but I will say this was the beautiful part of the conference. I have never been the type of person who could recite a scripture like my telephone number or address. I am pretty sure I will never be that person. I am actually pretty impressed when people can.

For my next post I have to get out my bible and read up on two or three scriptures.

3 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

I love that. I say similar things to Aidan, too!

Unknown said...

I took away so much from the conference too. So fun to read your lessons!

Linking to your post from my blog...
Kelly

BumbersBumblings said...

I totally forgot about that--thanks for reminding me!