Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Family for Eve...A book review

This past March when I went to the Created for Care conference in Atlanta I purchased a book about adoption for Anna titled A Family for Eve written by Kristen Keefe Struck. I read it over myself and knew it was perfect for Anna. What I love about it most is how Eve came to be placed with a family. This is an extremely sweet story. The family consists of many different types of animals so I do think that it would be good for a multi-racial family as well. It is not specific to any country but in my opinion it could translate into pretty much any adoption situation.

So why has it taken me so long to mention this book? Well first off was lazy. I feel like on some level lately I have dropped the ball on a few things but I now feel more on track. But really the reason why I am mentioning this book is because of a conversation that Anna had in school. For lunch and snack time the children all sit together eating and talking about foods and stuff like that. Anna told the children "I was a baby in Russia, I slept in a crib and a lady fed me." The teacher was a bit taken back. She and I have talked about Anna's adoption but this is the first time that Anna has mentioned it to her or in class.

Mrs. M. wrote me a note to tell me about the conversation which sounds pretty innocent but I am so thankful that she did. I have heard Anna say this before and we talk about it. I never want her to feel bad because she came to us through adoption but I think it is a hard concept for children to grasp. Gerard worries that she will be made fun of later on in school so it is not a big topic of conversation with the parents. Anna is our daughter and that is just the facts.

In the past I have given the teacher gifts of books for the classroom mostly because I Anna loves books and because I am sure that she gets tired of reading the same stories over and over. I plan on purchasing this book for the classroom. I highly recommend this book.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

That sounds like a great book. I will have to look for it. We really like Borya and the Burps. I just replace Borya's name with Colby's. It is written in a similar way to one that I wrote about Colby. I would love to publish it but I don't know where to start with that and I am nervous about other people reading it. Maybe I'm the only one that will like it.
Melissa

JennStar said...

On what Gerard said (about being made fun of), I think every kid gets poked at for something. If it's being adopted for Anna or Selah, we just need to be sure to equip them with an overflow of love and truth so that if this happens, it'll just roll of their backs! ;o)

Janet said...

Sounds like a great book! Om Sunday 9-30 will be my 55th gotcha day! On Sunday 9-30th will be my 55th gotcha day! Janet

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Great book recommendation! I think if we are open and hones with them, which i know you are, it becomes a non-issue. Aidan has become pretty matter of fact about it.

Deb said...

Really is a great book. Isabel has asked for it everyday. It makes adding to the family through adoption so normal.